Ted Thompson’s strategy of draft and develop is both well-known, and well-documented. Sometimes he hit, sometimes he is indifferent, and sometimes he misses. There are two, number one picks on this list, and of course they take the first and second spot of “Packers draft busts,” but we’ll save them for the last on the list. For now, here are the top fifteen Packer draft busts of the Thompson era.
15. Marvel Underwood/DB- The Packers 4th round draft choice in 2005, Underwood was expected to come in and be one of the safeties. That never happened, and he was released by the Packers during the 2007 season.
14. Jeremy Thompson– One of the Packers 4th round draft choices in 2008, he just never recovered from his collegiate injuries and recorded 9 tackles in his NFL career.
13. Corey Rodgers- One of the Packers 4th round draft choices in 2006, Rodgers never made it to the Packers 53 man roster that season and was released before the season even began.
12. Terrell Manning– When Thompson made the Terell Manningthe Packers 5th round draft choice in 2012; he expected big things from the former North Carolina State Tar Heel. That just didn’t happen and Manning and spent just one miserable season with the Packers.
11. Marshall Newhouse– The ever polarized Newhouse was the one of t he Packers 5th round draft choices in 2010. Packers fans rejoiced when he was released in 2013.
10. D.J. Williams– Thompson thought he was getting an athletic pass catching tight end when he selected Williams in the 5thround of the 2001 NFL draft. Williams had work ethic issues and was released by the Packers in 2013.
9. Jerron McMillian– Thompson thought he was getting Nick Collins replacement when he traded up into the 4th round in 2011 to draft this man. Instead, McMillian was released after just one and a half miserable seasons in Green Bay.
8. Abdul Hodge– One of the Packers third round draft choices back in 2006, the Packers thought they were getting their long term answer at inside linebacker. After several injuries, Hodge was released in 2008.
7. Alex Green– Thompson thought he had his running back when selected the Hawaii product Alex Green in the third round in 2011. After several knee injuries, Green was released in 2013.
6. Khyri Thornton– One of the Packers third round draft choices in 2014, the team struggled to find a spot for the talented Thornton and he is already out of Green Bay, currently playing for the Lions.
5. Brian Brohm– The Packers second round draft choice in 2008 was expected to push Aaron Rodgers. Well, we all know how that turned out and Brohm was released not even two seasons later, which prompted the rise of Matt Flynn.
4. Jerel Worthy– One of the Packers two second round draft choices in 2012 along with Casey Hayward, Worthy had problems learning the scheme and injury issues. He was traded to the Patriots in August of 2014. He’s bounced around to four different teams since the Packers picked him in 2012.
3. Pat Lee– One of the Packers three second round draft choices in 2008, Pat Lee was expected to be what Sam Shields has become for the Packers. Instead, Lee suffered injuries, had problems learning the system, and had some off the field issues as well.
2. Derek Sherrod– When Ted Thompson made Derek Sherrod the Packers first round draft choice in 2011, he thought he had his franchise left tackle. Instead, injury after injury derailed Sherrod’s career, and he was finally put out of his misery when the Packers released him in 2014.
1. Justin Harrell– The ultimate definition of a bust. When the Packers made Justin Harrell the 16thoverall selection in 2007, they thought they were getting a pro-bowler and their cog in the middle of the defense. Harrell was lazy, couldn’t learn the system, and was gone at the end of the 2010 season.